Wednesday, August 4, 2010

My Declaration as a Worshiper

I will sing to the LORD, for he has been good to me. Psalm 13:6

I will praise you, O Lord, among the nations; I will sing of you among the peoples. Psalm 57:9

I will sing of the LORD's great love forever; with my mouth I will make your faithfulness known through all generations. Psalm 89:1

I will sing to the LORD all my life; I will sing praise to my God as long as I live. Psalm 104:33

Sing to the LORD! Give praise to the LORD! He rescues the life of the needy from the hands of the wicked. Jer.20:13

HIS response to my declaration:
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing." Zeph. 3:17

What brought me to this place of declaration before the world (or at least Emily :0P)? The humbling experience of standing before a group of people, praying and hoping and believing they will see the face of God, not just "feel" something moving around them.

I sing. It's what I do, and I am blessed to do it well. Thank you to all those that have encouraged this gift/talent in me. David, though, wasn't just a good singer - he was a worshiper.

Between David, Solomon, and a handful more writers, the longest book in the bible is a hymnal! It's a compilation CD of worship music laced with desperation, hunger, holy fear, righteous anger, and praise in its rawest, purest, most genuine form. Two whole chapters in the book of Revelation are dedicated to worship around the throne of God. What does that tell you and me?

Francis Chan Crazy Love:
It may sound "un-Christian" to say that on some mornings I don't feel like loving God, or I just forget to. But I do. In our world, where hundreds of things distract us from God, we have to intentionally and consistently remind ourselves of Him.

As a worship leader, I sometimes lose sight of the lyrics and focus on how the music feels, how the atmosphere shifts, or how the people react to the driving drums or rhythmic guitar. In our regular normal days, don't we sometimes lose sight of who God is and how we refer to him in light of EVERYTHING else that's going on? Like our friend Francis, we have to admit we miss God.

The amazing thing God is showing me, in the midst of One Tree Hill and poor money management skills, lack of energy and frustration with people around me, is it begins with worship. Life begins with worshiping Him, and all else falls into place.

I declare today I am a worshiper of the Lord God Almighty, Creator of all things, Jesus Christ, the Risen One, and Holy Spirit, Comforter, Counselor, Teacher, and Friend.

My declaration as a worshiper - David said it best:
Psalm 9
1
I will praise you, O LORD, with all my heart;
I will tell of all your wonders.

2 I will be glad and rejoice in you;
I will sing praise to your name, O Most High.

Psalm 145
1I will exalt you, my God the King; I will praise your name for ever and ever.

2
Every day I will praise you and extol your name for ever and ever.

3
Great is the LORD and most worthy of praise; his greatness no one can fathom.

To worship You, I live.
I live to worship You.
Here I am, with all I am, bowing down in spirit and truth, with lifted hands, worshiping you.

Thank you, Father, for singing over me.
You love me.
(Still working this concept in my head - every time I think I get it, it gets more intense.)

No comments:

Post a Comment