Sunday, October 26, 2014

Pieces

Javier Colon - Stitch By Stitch (let it play in the background while you read)

Blue and black, heart torn out,
You uncover what's beneath my skin
There and back, there's no doubt, your touch is my medicine

I'll be okay, 'cause you heal me...

I believe I live in a broken state. Not necessarily contrite, but seemingly very broken. I feel like life is harder than I expected being here in Dallas, and I sometimes wonder if anyone else really understands this feeling. Intellectually, I know there are many students here that struggle with being away from family and close friends. They live life knowing all they can do to get through the day is remind themselves that God is who He says He is, and there is a definite purpose to this season in life.

And I'll give you all my pieces broken
In your hands, there's nothing that you can't fix
My heart is frayed, my scars are open
So put me back together now, stitch by stitch 
Put me back together now, stitch by stitch.

What you say, without words, resuscitates what was numb inside
So repair me, every thread of me, 'cause you're bringing me back to life

For me, though, there is a lingering question: Will you take everything that's been broken and put it back together, Lord? I'm living half a country (and half a day's trip) from those that know me most and best. I wonder on a regular basis if this is really where I'm supposed to be right now. I am already unable to meet expectations of and struggling to fairly set boundaries for others. I see all that is wrong in the world before I see what is beautiful. More than anything, issues that were once dealt with and dead seem to have risen once again in my life.

I'll be okay, 'cause you heal me...

And I'll give you all my pieces broken
In your hands, there's nothing that you can't fix
My heart is frayed, my scars are open
So put me back together now stitch, by stitch

I'm still afraid of falling, somehow it's takin' over me
Don't ever let me let it go...

There and back, there's no doubt, your touch makes me whole again

In this moment, I have to stand firmly and securely in God's ability to heal and make a beautiful piece of work out of the fragments of my life. If I doubt His hand in my life, then the fear of falling becomes a definite reality. If I forget His goodness, I will waver in my faithfulness.

And I'll give you all my pieces broken
In your hands there's nothing that you can't fix
My heart is frayed, my scars are open
So put me back together now, stitch by stitch
Put me back together now, stitch by stitch
Put me back together now, stitch by stitch

Here is my brokenness, my shame, my pain, and my need.
Dear God, Your presence in my life is unmistakable; only You could repair me before, and only You can fix me now.
Yet, I still walk in insecurity, trying to cover my open wounds.
In You, there is peace and rest for my soul.
My scars, reopened and exposed, heal only by Your hand.
I will be who You created me to be; as You mend and stitch, You form Your son and His character.

Phil 1:4-6
In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

Praying, as He puts me back together, each stitch solidifies who I am as a child of God in my mind, emotions, relationships, and ministry.

No comments:

Post a Comment