Monday, May 3, 2010

Day 1 in the Great Smoky Mountains

From the highest of heights to the depths of the sea
Creation's revealing Your majesty
From the colors of fall to the fragrance of spring
Every creature unique in the song that it sings
All exclaiming

Who has told every lightning bolt where it should go
Or seen heavenly storehouses laden with snow
Who imagined the sun and gives source to its light
Yet conceals it to bring us the coolness of night
None can fathom

Indescribable, uncontainable,
You placed the stars in the sky and You know them by name
You are amazing God
All powerful, untamable,
Awestruck we fall to our knees as we humbly proclaim
You are amazing God
Incomparable, unchangeable
You see the depths of my heart and You love me the same
You are amazing God
You are amazing God

Last night, the Stevenson family and myself ventured into the Great Smoky Mountains for a week of vacationing. From Marietta to the GA border, it was beautiful, partly cloudy, and divinely quiet. From the Tennessee border to the entrance of the resort, it was torrential rainstorm and hurricane-like winds. I realized as we continued to push through and make our way toward Sevierville/Pigeon Forge that our trip, from the beginning, would be an adventure. So far (near the end of day one), it has not disappointed.

I woke up this morning and pulled back the curtains in my room at this wonderful mountain resort. The view from my window made me immediately think of the song above. I couldn't believe how majestic and amazing the world was right before my eyes. I watched the clouds roll back as time passed and reveal even more mountaintops. It took everything in me not to cry at the awe-inspiring scene before me. I shared my view with my brother and sister-in-law, and each of us thanked the Lord for His blessings.

Later in the AM, I went with Tommy and Brandy to scout out the area, and that was an amazing adventure. The things we found may not qualify to others as adventurous or amazing, but it was to me. We drove through the mountains and pulled off to the side to take pictures of these amazing scenes created by the hand of God. Our adventure: trying to fathom the awesomeness of God's desire for beauty in nature. I wish I could post pictures, but I forgot the USB cable for my camera. If you ever get to travel through this part of Tennessee, take advantage of the opportunity.

Tomorrow, we're headed off on a couple hikes to see waterfalls, mountain peaks, and even walking through the valleys.

Tonight, it's "As Seen on TV" and the Tanger Outlet mall. The diversity of my family... I love it!

So, today's amazingly, full of God thought... Today, we could have driven right through the mountains looking and saying, "Oh, that's nice". I could've left the curtains closed and complained about the 3 phone calls and banging on the door that woke us up over the course of the morning. I could've gotten upset when the plans were up in limbo, and we possibly were headed to Florida instead!
God has such amazing plans for us, all throughout the day, and it only takes ONE decision to alter it all. He wanted us in Tennessee this week, and He knew rain couldn't deter us. He wanted us to see the mountains and valleys and trees and streams and waterfalls. He wanted us to encounter the nice, kind people along the way here and even here now.
Remember, God wants awe-inspiring, mind-blowing, transforming events in our lives all the time everyday. When Jesus said he came to bring life and that it would be abundant, he wasn't just talking about "I have joy today". He brought exciting excursions through his creation and wonderful conversations with friends. He brought life-changing volunteer opportunities that result in extreme gratitude, graciousness, and thankfulness. He brought family and love and support and encouragement. He brought the Holy Spirit, who speaks life and truth to us all the time.
I can't imagine life without my Heavenly Father, His Son, His Spirit, and His heart for me.
Tommy walked out of my room after seeing the view, and he said, "God loves you!"
All I can say after today is "Yes, He does!"
Oh, how He loves us so!
How I love Him in return!

No comments:

Post a Comment